A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Saturday, March 26, 2016

Get Off Of My Clouds: Edward Green's Asquith




I'll be the first to admit that I don't stray very far from brown shoes. There are so many variations on that color that I don't see the need for too many other shoes in my rotation. As a result, I only own a handful of non-brown shoes, and these tend to see very limited use for special occasions. Off the top of my head, I have a pair of black captoe semi-brogues from the Grenson Masterpiece line for Paul Stuart - they're still in pristine, unworn condition in the box. I also have a pair of black Johnston & Murphy Handmade 100s -wingtips with the spade or shovel sole. And I think that's about it for black (there's a pair of blue suede Kiton loafers in the closet somewhere as well, but I plan on wearing those as soon as its warm out!).

I definitely don't stray very far from my wheelhouse, so I have looked from afar at the variety of new colors that Edward Green has been offering for the last few years. Interesting, I thought, but probably not for me. I was intrigued, then, when I had an opportunity to purchase a pair of classic Asquiths on the incomparable 888 last from the Edward Green factory store, but in the new Cloud Antique leather color. My thinking was that I really don't see myself wearing black shoes anytime soon, but the Cloud option might be an interesting option that would allow me to break out some of the black hats, as well as the black overcoat, in my closet that just don't get into the rotation because I wouldn't think to pair them with brown shoes.




The Cloud Antique color is kind of hard to describe - it would be too simplistic to describe it as "grey." It has a "boned" effect, but it also calls to mind what a dark pair of shoes might look like if they were left for decades in the sun-filled window of some shop on a lonely side-street. Of course, Edward Green also utilizes their patinating skills to great effect - there is a warmth to the tone of the leather upper at the medallion and along the rear quarters.




All in all, a classic style in a color that is a bit of a departure for me but which I hope will open up a new range of (admittedly darker) colors in my wardrobe palette. And what's really so wrong with that?


2 comments:

  1. Love this blog. Glad to see you posting, again. Stay fancy.

    ReplyDelete