A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Monday, March 10, 2014

More from The Armoury NYC


An Uptown Dandy & Jeff Hilliard at The Armoury NYC

I finally had a chance to drop into the Armoury NYC again, a few weeks back. I missed Jeff Hilliard the first time around, but we were able to meet this time and he gave me a quick tour of the premises. The store really is impressive, for several reasons.

I'm sure others have already waxed philosophical about the Armoury's new location here in Manhattan, so I probably won't be able to add very much. But at the risk of overdoing it, I don't think its much of a stretch to say that the store is quickly becoming my favorite men's clothing store. From an aesthetic point of view, the atmosphere is warm, inviting, and knowledgeable without being overbearing.

What really stood out to me is just how much the Armoury is actually contributing to the landscape here. I thought it would be impossible to say this in the internet age, but highlighting the craftsmanship and wares of select artisans to an interested clientele can still be done with taste. As I walked around the store, I thought about the items on display that I'd previously seen only via international travel or quicker (but less rewarding) trips around the internet. I've purchased Carmina shoes before, but only while traveling in Spain. I don't think I've ever seen St. Crispin shoes in  the flesh (or calf leather). Ring Jackets, Liverano & Liverano bespoke, as well as Ambrosi trousers - certainly, the discerning gentleman has much to look forward to on the racks (or in the trunks) at Duane Street.



I was also happy to find a copy of The Best Dressed Man In The Room (literally, the store is down to their last copy) on the shelves amongst some pretty impressive company.

No comments:

Post a Comment