A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Sunday, August 7, 2011

"Ruminations on Small Objects": Tender Buttons


Tender Buttons: the name of the shop is borrowed from a
Gertrude Stein piece first published in 1914.


          I recently purchased a three-button navy Borrelli jacket and was forced to come to the realization that I'm awash in navy blazers/sports jackets at the moment. In addition to the traditional navy blazer with gold buttons, I have two other navy jackets - unfortunately (to my eye anyway), each of these jackets have dull blue or blue/black buttons. I have been thinking about adding a lighter brown or English horn buttons to a navy jacket for some time now ( a la Brunello Cucinelli) for two reasons: (1) to give the jacket a more casual look and (2) to have a navy jacket with a splash of color to match the tan slacks and brown shoes that I generally like to wear.

          With that in mind, it seemed like a great time to drop by Tender Buttons, a pleasant little shop on 62nd between Third and Lexington avenues devoted entirely to buttons of all shapes and sizes.  The walls on one side are literally lined with contemporary designs while the other wall has vintage and antique sets.




          I had originally thought that English horn buttons in a lighter color might work best, but I didn't really like how the colors were working together once I saw them in person.  I then started looking more closely at some of the lighter (almost what I would call a caramel) shades of brown. I eventually settled on a set of very light brown buttons with what appears to be a wood-like texture or finish that should succeed in livening things up a bit. I dropped the jacket off at the tailor to have the buttons put on but will be sure to post pics when I get it back!

          So, if you happen to be roaming around on the East Side in need of a little something to pass the time or something to spruce up an otherwise stuffy Navy jacket, more than likely Tender Buttons will have something along the lines of what you're looking for.



2 comments:

  1. Инстраграмм остается самой популярной площадкой для продвижения своего бизнеса. Но, как показывает практика, люди гораздо чаще подписываются на профили в каких уже достаточное количество подписчиков. Если заниматься продвижение своими силами, потратить на это можно очень множество времени, поэтому гораздо лучше обратиться к специалистам из Krutiminst.ru на сайт http://www.canlab.pitt.edu/hello-world/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Инстраграмм являться самой популярной площадкой для продвижения собственного бизнеса. Но, как показывает практика, люди еще чаще подписываются на профили в которых уже достаточное количество подписчиков. Если заниматься продвижение своими силами, потратить на это вы можете очень множество времени, поэтому еще лучше обратиться к специалистам из Krutiminst.ru тут https://forumkinopoisk.ru/member.php?u=1309880

    ReplyDelete